Friday, June 10, 2011
Top 10 worst bad habits
1. Gossip -- Word-of-mouth is not always the most reliable source of information. Don't go on hearsay alone. Consult the newspaper (and don't forget the gossip columns).
2. Spitting in public -- If you're on the street, then you're probably not playing baseball. Tuberculosis may not be an epidemic anymore, but spitting is still gross -- its a bodily fluid.
3. Cursing -- We have a lot of saltwater in Hampton Roads, but that does not make everyone a sailor.
4. Lecturing -- Not to nag, but people usually go to church when they want to hear a sermon. Of course, this list may border on being a form of lecture.
5. Not washing hands -- People don't necessarily need to come into contact with everything everyone else has come into contact with. When you're at the store, think about how many people have touched the same thing you just picked up.
6. Slouching -- This one can have permanent physical effects. If that's not enough to stop it, just try looking in the mirror while you're in a slouch.
7. Cracking knuckles -- The sound is only satisfying to the person who does it. Potential arthritis risks aside, this habit does not have any known health benefits.
8. Biting your nails -- Even if you cut your nails regularly, what do you use to clean underneath them? Things grow there.
9. Talking with mouth full -- This can be done politely, if one is careful. Otherwise, it is a source of misunderstandings and chewed food projectiles -- again, gross.
10. Procrastination -- This one was added at the last minute.
Matt Cahill's Daily Top 10 comes out every weekday. Coming Tuesday: Top 10 famous military battles.