Georges St-Pierre was originally scheduled to defend his Welterweight Championship against Nirck Diaz in the main event. However, on December 7, 2011, it was revealed St-Pierre had suffered an ACL injury that forced him out of the fight. Diaz will now face Carlos Condit with the winner receiving the interim title belt. Condit's original opponent Josh Koscheck, faced Mike Pierce at the event.
Erik Koch was scheduled to face Dustin Poirier at the event, but pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Ricardo Lamas. However, Lamas also pulled out of the bout due to injury and was replaced by Max Holloway.
Amir Sadollah was expected to face Jorge Lopez at the event, but was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Matt Riddle. Lopez was also forced out of the bout and replaced by Henry Martinez.
Mike Stumpf was expected to face Justin Edwards at the event, but was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Stephen Thompson. Edwards himself was forced out of the bout and Dan Stittgen will step in to fight Thompson.
UFC Primetime returned to promote the main event. The event was the first showcasing the new PPV opener, retiring the long used gladiator intro.
Official fight card
Preliminary card (Facebook)
- Thompson defeated Stittgen via KO (round kick) at 4:13 of round 1.
- Natal defeated Kuiper via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 29–28).
Preliminary card (FX)
- Riddle defeated Martinez via split decision (28–29, 29–28, 29–28).
- Brown defeated Cope via TKO (punches) at 1:19 of round 2.
- Figueroa defeated Caceres via split decision (28–27, 27–28, 28–27). Caceres was deducted two points in the second round for repeated kicks to the groin.
- Poirier defeated Holloway via submission (mounted triangle armbar) at 3:23 of round 1.
- Herman defeated Starks via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:43 of round 2.
- Barão defeated Jorgensen via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
- Koscheck defeated Pierce via split decision (28–29, 29–28, 29–28).
- Werdum defeated Nelson via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27).
- Condit defeated Diaz via unanimous decision (48–47, 49–46, 49–46) to become the new UFC Interim Welterweight Champion.